Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Novice trying to figure out "Point Falls Outside the Area" Error
LeoK
Post Novice trying to figure out "Point Falls Outside the Area" Error
on: July 19, 2020, 06:12

Hi, name is Leo, I’m new to Arduino, and I choose this to be my first project to work on.

Long-short, I could use some guidance. I suspect the issue I’m having is related to MM/Rev, STEPS/Rev, Step X, or a combination of the three.

Now the long bit.

Initial Instruction followed:

Parts Purchase (all sourced from Amazon)

• UNO R3
  • HiLetgo L293D DC Motor Drive Shield Stepper Motor Drive Shield Expansion Board for Arduino
  • L293D DIP 16-pin IC Stepper Motor Drivers Controllers
  • Nema 17 Stepper Motor 42 Motor 1.5A (17HS4401), 1.8 degrees per step, 200 steps per revolution
  • 20 Teeth Timing Pulley Wheel, 16mm diameter
  • GT2 Timing Belt (16ft)
  • And other things the kit from the Intractables.com website recommended

Software Used
Testing on Windows 10, final home will be a Linux laptop

• Arduino IDE 1.0.5-r2
  • Processing 2.2.1
  • Polargraph 2017-11-01

Machine settings

#   ***  Polargraph properties file   ***  
#Sun Jul 19 00:14:00 EDT 2020
controller.pixel.samplearea=10
controller.pictureframe.position.y=33
controller.pictureframe.position.x=111
controller.testPenWidth.startSize=0.5
controller.machine.colour=969696
machine.motors.mmPerRev=40
controller.vector.filename=
controller.window.width=1696
controller.frame.colour=C80000
controller.image.position.y=43
controller.image.position.x=32
machine.motors.accel=1242
controller.image.height=113
controller.machine.serialport=2
controller.window.height=913
controller.maxSegmentLength=2
controller.geomerative.polygonizerLength=1
machine.penlift.up=89
machine.penlift.down=0
controller.page.position.y=32
controller.vector.scaling=61.6
controller.page.position.x=110
controller.pictureframe.width=988
machine.step.multiplier=1
controller.grid.size=18.0
controller.testPenWidth.endSize=2
controller.pictureframe.height=1085
controller.page.colour=DCDCDC
controller.testPenWidth.incrementSize=0.5
controller.image.width=90
machine.motors.stepsPerRev=400.0
machine.pen.size=4.05
controller.page.width=1000
controller.pixel.mask.color=00FF00
controller.machine.baudrate=57600
controller.vector.minLineLength=0
machine.width=1220
controller.geomerative.polygonizer=1
controller.page.height=1099
controller.vector.position.y=104.78
controller.background.colour=646464
controller.image.filename=
controller.vector.position.x=67.56
controller.homepoint.y=221
controller.guide.colour=FFFFFF
machine.motors.maxSpeed=1722
controller.homepoint.x=610
controller.density.preview.style=6
controller.pixel.scaling=1
controller.densitypreview.colour=000000
machine.height=1220

Machine is not currently built. As it stands, it’s bunch of pieces and wires sitting on my workbench. I wanted to make sure everything turned on and ran as expected before I went through the hassle of putting it all together. The dimension of the machine I would like to build will be roughly 1220mm x 1220mm or 4ft x 4ft.

I would like to also say that I did get it to work right one with this setup, or at least have the motors behave like it was processing the commands being sent to it, but I did not write any of the settings down and have not been able to replicated since. So, I know the equipment I bought works, I just can’t figure out why my last 20-30 attempts to run a test result have resulted in “This point falls outside the area this of this machine” error messages being spit out.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

sandy
Administrator
sandy
Post Re: Novice trying to figure out "Point Falls Outside the Area" Error
on: July 19, 2020, 21:30

This board looks like a clone of adafruit's original motorshield, which is the default motorshield for polargraph_server_a1. It doesn't need any modification, so I will assume you haven't made any modification of the arduino source code.

This setting uses an INTERLEAVED step style which effectively doubles the number of steps per rev to 400.

The settings you have look right to me.

"Upload machine spec", and see that the commands are accepted by the arduino - you can ignore the error message about the C25,PGXXABCD,END.

Because there's a bit of confusion here, let's also confirm that the settings have been uploaded. Look at either the Arduino Serial Monitor OR the Processing console when you restart the arduino, and make sure it reports the correct settings. It will say "POLARGRAPH ON!" and then output it's specification.

Once you have confirmed that the machine's spec is exactly the same as the spec in the polargraph controller then you can be more confident.

Ok then remember:
Each time you start a drawing, you must "set home" first. Because you don't have a machine built yet you don't need to worry about actually moving the gondola, because there isn't one!

1. "set home"
2. "move pen to point" - click just below your home point - a centimetre or two.
- do the motors move? The left one should move clockwise. The right one should move counter-clockwise.
3. "move direct" - click a bit lower down again - another centimetre or two
- do the motors move? They should go in the same direction again.
4. "move pen to point" - click just to the left of the current point
- do the motors move? They should both go counter-clockwise.

sn

LeoK
on: July 20, 2020, 01:20

Thank you so much for responding, "Upload machine spec" was the one piece of the puzzle that looks to have been missing.

I stumble across this guide today (https://www.instructables.com/id/Polargraph-Drawing-Machine/) and it was helpful tracking down another issue with setting home. I was effectively deleting the first three set of commands that appeared on the screen, thinking it was left overs from failed attempts. Apparently that does something more sine was only able to set the home after fed those commands in.

This and the Upload step you mentioned was missing in the original guide I followed, and every other article/forum post I stumbled across in my troubleshooting, but not missing in the link the above instructables.com link. I also watch you YouTube videos on setting up the machine, but I must have missed the settings that finally got this thing working.

Thanks again for replying.

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: July 23, 2020, 21:52

Upload is critical 🙂 I was a bit surprised to read through that other instructable and see it had no mention of uploading the spec!

The three commands that are pre-loaded aren't actually critical
set speed
set acceleration
set pen width

Set pen width only really makes a difference if you're using with the pixel styles.

sn

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.023 seconds.