Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Render Pixels but not Vectors
DannyBoy
DannyBoy
Post Can Render Pixels but not Vectors
on: June 21, 2020, 05:55

Arduino Mega
Adafruit Motor shield v1
Github Controller v2.4.2
Processing 2.2.1

Hey, I'm totally new to polargraphs, but what an amazing project.

Simply put, I can't get a vector to draw. Render pixels works, move pen to point, and return to home works, but vectors give the, "this point falls outside the area of the machine. Skipping it."

I have "Set Home"
I have "uploaded Machine Spec"
When I upload the machine spec I get the response. E21:06:04 C25, PGXXABCD, END not recognized, but my saves seem to be working.

Now to say that draw vectors have never worked would be a lie. It did work twice and when it started both steppers caused the pen to go vertical above the home point. I pulled the plug once and the other time it started to draw.

any help here would be great. this machine makes me drool.

sandy
Administrator
sandy
Post Re: Can Render Pixels but not Vectors
on: June 21, 2020, 14:09

Hi! You've got half of it working at least 🙂

Yes I think you're doing the right things. The "set home" needs to happen every time you restart the machine though. The "upload machine spec" happens once, it's a special occasion!

"Set home" needs to happen _after_ your upload machine spec too, you're best off uploading the machine spec, then restarting the arduino so it gets a freshly loaded specs from it's internal memory.

If the spec on the arduino matches the spec in the controller, then "Set home", by definition, places the pen into a drawable area - it's not possible to do a "set home", and then for a line at the same point to be off the page. You can test this by doing "set home" and then "move direct" and click just next to the home point. Perhaps you could click further and further away to troubleshoot?

So if the command ordering (above) doesn't help, that means there's a difference between the spec you have loaded in the controller, and the spec that has been loaded into the arduino. I have seen some where the commands get sent, but they don't get saved (for some reason), or they get corrupted along the way. Quite easy to diagnose though, if you're running the polargraph controller from source anyway.

The Processing console (the bottom half of the processing window - black and white text) shows you the raw communication between the arduino and the controller. When you restart the arduino, it reports the size (and spec) that it thinks it is. So watch that console and make sure the arduino is reporting the spec that you've told it. If the width or stepsperrev or mmperrev or stepmultiplier are wrong, then then it's a sign that uploading the machine spec is failing somehow.

sn

DannyBoy
DannyBoy
on: June 21, 2020, 16:14

It seems that my machine has had many special occasions because I have "uploaded my machine spec" - 50 times? Oops. I made some changes to check it and it still seems to upload correctly.

The machine size, stepsperrev, mmperrev, stepmultiplier appear correct in processing console.

What I tried next:

I "set home" then "move Pen to point" --- works
I "set home" then "move Direct" ---- does not work Line not in page skipping it.
Next:
selected "no Serial connection"
Pen drops
Selected "COM5"
"move Direct" ---Works
Then I moved the pen to the home position but I didn't "set Home"
"set Pen position" --- Works
"move Direct" ---Works

Loaded up a vector and moved it to the middle of the page. Fingers crossed.

"draw Vector" --- Works!!!
Any Ideas? I'm completely fine with this workaround. More than fine actually, I started salivating when the pen started moving.

Thanks!!!

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: June 22, 2020, 21:33

Prrmmmmm...... does it draw the vector correctly? Correct scale and proportion?

Er, so all's well that ends well, I guess? I don't understand what's happening.

Perhaps move the home point so it's closer to the centre?

sn

DannyBoy
DannyBoy
on: June 27, 2020, 04:00

Yeah, it has been drawing vectors correctly. The movement to corners on the page was within a couple on millimeters.

So I moved the home point closer to the center by 3mm. 123 HOME POS Y
Now it works perfectly. Home works - move direct after Home. Nice!
Amazing, Tanknks!!

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: June 27, 2020, 23:35

Ha! Well, I know I suggested it, but I have no idea why that would make any difference. Keep your eyes open for other odd behaviour 🙂

good luck!

sn

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.046 seconds.