Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Buying Polargraph v3.0 Questions
kongorilla
Pro
kongorilla
Post Buying Polargraph v3.0 Questions
on: October 1, 2018, 01:33

Hey Sandy, are you planning to offer a "just the new electronics kit" for those of us who want to upgrade? If so, when-ish?

sandy
Administrator
sandy
Post Re: Buying Polargraph v3.0 Questions
on: October 1, 2018, 08:03

Hi! Hope you're well! At the moment the new machine doesn't do anything different to the old one so there's no real reason to upgrade. Once I roll some new features into it then it'll be worthwhile. Possible new features will be:
* Changing machine spec from the touch UI (rather than having to usb-tether for it). This could probably be back-ported to v2 hardware easily enough.
* Connect serial port wirelessly, either bluetooth or wifi. The hardware is all there for this, but I think this is more complicated than it seems at first.
* Control the machine with a simple built-in ui accessed via a browser. I sure don't want to be writing a web UI using C, so I need to investigate how to build this in something more suitable (python probably) and how it can co-exist with the realtime motor-driving part of the machine.
* Encoders for closed-loop movement, fault tolerance, using the gondola as an input device. In a simple form this was actually well-tested with the Polargraph Pro for the Science Festival a couple of years ago. The Polarshield v3 has pins for it, but needs a good motor/encoder unit designed.
* Endstop switches for auto-homing. Pins are ready for it on v3, but no hardware yet to plug into it.
* Direct draw from SVG or bitmap on SD card. I think this is practical on this machine, but the UI needs a bit of thinking - how to specify size, position etc.

Until those features start creeping into the code, v3 is just a replacement rather than an upgrade. That said, I would like beta testers for the new machine.

sn

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.