Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Beaglebone and Polargraph
doom98
Post Beaglebone and Polargraph
on: May 1, 2019, 18:31

Hello everyone, I have recently bought a Beaglebone Green so I would like to know if anyone has already worked out how to use the Polargraph software with the Beaglebone that could help me out a little.

Thank you.

sandy
Administrator
sandy
Post Re: Beaglebone and Polargraph
on: May 1, 2019, 18:40

Hi, welcome! What happens when you try it on the beaglebone? Where does it fall over?

Sn

doom98
on: May 5, 2019, 14:23

The thing is that I am not very skilled with electronics so I do not really know how to connect the beaglebone instead of an arduino with the instructions given on this website. Seems like all of the programs are ready to use on a windows environment and the codes are for the arduino language, the beaglebone works on a linux environment so I would not know how to use the arduino codes on the beaglebone and on a linux environment.

Thank you so much

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: May 5, 2019, 16:59

Beaglebone does not run arduino code, so you cannot use the firmware for the Polargraph on it. (see note at the end...)

The Polargraph Controller software that you use to plan the drawings is a Java program, so you may be able to run that on a beaglebone if you can set up a Java runtime environment (JRE), I don't know how powerful they are.

You would still need to connect an arduino with a motor driver to the beaglebone by a serial port.

Note that it is possible to control steppers motor drivers directly from a beaglebone (see https://www.instructables.com/id/A-BeagleBone-Tutorial-Getting-Started-With-Motor-B/), but I have never done it, and you could not use Polargraph software for it, you'd have to write your own.

See here for an example of cross-compiling arduino code to run on beaglebone! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsOVLR6364
I guess you could use the GPIOs on the beaglebone to interface with the motor drivers.

sn

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.018 seconds.