Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death to Sharpie and D2S-PDF basic questions
dwburger
Post Death to Sharpie and D2S-PDF basic questions
on: October 26, 2018, 07:15

Just wondering whether there's anyone here who could answer some basic questions about the use of D2S and D2S-PDF. I must be missing something...I've downloaded, installed and run both sketches and receive the graphical output. I don't understand how to send that output to the Polargraph so it will be drawn. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction??? Thanks!

Dave

kongorilla
Pro
kongorilla
Post Re: Death to Sharpie and D2S-PDF basic questions
on: October 27, 2018, 00:36

I haven't used D2S in a few years, so things are a bit hazy and I could be mistaken, but what I remember is:

- If you're using vanilla D2S, it outputs gcode. Give the output gcode file an extension of *.gco, and load it into the polargraph controller via the LOAD VECTOR button.

- If you're using the PDF version, import the output PDF into Inkscape (or other vector app), then export the vector paths as a SVG file, which then can be loaded into the controller via the LOAD VECTOR button.

dwburger
on: October 27, 2018, 00:53

Thanks for the tip...it got me to look in the right place for the output from the sketch. Turns out, the gcode file was in the same directory as the sketch. Probably should have known that. Anyhow, I'll work at getting the file into the polargraph controller as you indicated. Gee, I thought D2S was the way to go, but you haven't used it in years. Can you suggest other drawing strategies or techniques that are newer/better? I'm most interested in drawing vector images. I'm happy to do the online research if you can provide some keywords. Thanks!

kongorilla
Pro
kongorilla
on: October 27, 2018, 19:16

I didn't stop using D2S due to finding better options. It's more like I'm always juggling a dozen or so projects, and it can be a long time between plotter drawings, even more so drawings of a particular style.

I will say, however, I never got good at wrangling D2S's parameters. Other people have gotten better results than me. If I have a little time to set up a polargraph drawing, I'm more likely to use the stuff Sandy baked into the controller.

dwburger
on: October 27, 2018, 19:19

Got it, thanks!

Shorn
Beginner
on: October 29, 2018, 21:05

Update- didn't realize this was already answered . I use D2S regularly. You can check out my Twitter feed to see some different types of plots

I did this with D2S

@shornone

D2S is but one tool among many. If you want to just do vectors it isn't the correct one imo

Import the PDF into Inkscape and save the file as a plain svg. Make sure you resize the paper size first.

D2S also outputs an SVG file you should be able to load without any extra steps.

Hardware:
*Running an Arduino Nano reflashed with an Uno bootloader
*Modified knockoff GRBL CNC shield with knockoff DRV8825 step drivers
*400mA -200 step motors set to 16x microstepping
*2mm belt with 36 tooth drive gears
*Machine set to 1500 Max speed and 5000 motor acceleration

Software:
*Stock Polargraph Controller to make command queues
*D2S version 2
*Send.py on remote Raspberry Pi

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.03 seconds.