Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Polargraph Firmware with Ramps 1.4 + ReprapDiscount Smard Controller LCD
Ohmarinus
Post Polargraph Firmware with Ramps 1.4 + ReprapDiscount Smard Controller LCD
on: February 20, 2020, 11:22

Hi all, so I've started building a v plotter next and decided to give the firmware a try.

It all compiles and uploads, but I cannot seem to get the LCD panel working that I'm using.

It's this model:
https://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Smart_Controller

I've been able to make it working with the Makelangelo firmware, but I would really like to get this panel working with the Polargraph firmware.

Does anyone have a solution for me?

This is the v plotter I'm working on 🙂

sandy
Administrator
sandy
Post Re: Polargraph Firmware with Ramps 1.4 + ReprapDiscount Smard Controller LCD
on: February 21, 2020, 18:42

Nice floorboards! There aren't any Polargraph firmwares that are compatible with that kind of screen.

Ohmarinus
Post Re: Polargraph Firmware with Ramps 1.4 + ReprapDiscount Smard Controller LCD
on: February 22, 2020, 16:56

Quote from sandy on February 21, 2020, 18:42
Nice floorboards! There aren't any Polargraph firmwares that are compatible with that kind of screen.

Hi Sandy thanks for your swift reply!

Is there a way to use the firmware without a TFT/LCD? For example through USB with having a laptop connected to it? I tried doing it via Pronterface, it does connect but I am unable to move the motors and I cannot load a gcode file to stream to the device.

Or could I order a suitable TFT touchscreen somewhere?

I also have an ESP32 dev board laying around with embedded WIFI which could be a possible contestant but I prefer using up my spare Ramps boards. An issue with a servo has caused two Arduino Mega's to burn... I have one left haha. Makelangelo firmware doesn't want to work for me.

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: February 23, 2020, 21:32

The standard way to use Polargraph is in that "tethered" mode, connected via USB, with the Polargraph controller sending commands one by one. It doesn't use gcode so other gcode senders won't work. There is a python script (https://gist.github.com/euphy/75366a70346689190bb5) that will send a txt file with polargraph commands in it, if you don't want to run the controller continuously.

The standard firmware is https://github.com/euphy/polargraph_server_a1. This firmware can use an SD card but not a LCD.

Of course you can build your own LCD-based machine based on the polargraph_server_polarshield firmware (https://github.com/euphy/polargraph_server_polarshield) if you can figure out the plans - I can't help you with that but the source is all published.

The most modern version is https://github.com/euphy/polargraph_server_polarshield_esp32. This uses commonly found touchscreens but again you'll need to figure how to use it yourself. The source is all out there.

I recommend getting the makelangelo system working instead!

Sandy Noble

Ohmarinus
on: March 29, 2020, 09:33

Hi Sandy, I wanted to thank you for your comment. Indeed I tried both and I also have an ESP32 which I managed to get working just as a learning experiment. Eventually I decided that I have learned enough from evolving the polargraph pen plotter and have taken these new ideas back to the CoreXY plotter I designed earlier.

Eventually I am a sucker for precision and even though a polargraph can achieve quite high precision with the correct speed settings and mechanical smart design, a coreXY plotter can have greater precision with way higher speed. This high speed helps to develop my art practice because I can make more tryouts in less time. The precision also helps with doing multicolor prints, especially when it comes down to geometry where it's really apparent when the machine loses it's registration.

This is the last video of the polargraph, I hope someone finds it interesting. Thanks a lot for helping me in this adventure.

First try with a linear rail embedded in the gondola:

After this tryout I made more videos however they are not available on youtube and the machine will be packed up in a box for now as I need to focus on the improvement of the CoreXY. I learned so much during this project and all will be implemented in the eventual design of an A0 pen plotter.

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: March 29, 2020, 19:09

That's a really neat gondola, nicely done! What kind is that tiny linear rail?

I am very happy that Polargraph has been a test bed, hope the CoreXY machine goes far, and fast!

sn

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.035 seconds.