Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to update Firmware
Matthias
Post How to update Firmware
on: March 1, 2019, 20:57

Hi all,

I having issues to update the latest Firmware to the Polargraph. I wanna do that because the machine stops during the drawing process.

I had installed virtual code and PlatformIO but now I don't know wits next in detail.

Witch software I have to use? And how to use it? step by step 😉

I am using a Mac with OS X 13.6, PolargraphSD 3.0 2018 with Arduino and Polarshield I guess...

Is there anyone, who also uses a Mac and can help me?

sandy
Administrator
sandy
Post Re: How to update Firmware
on: March 9, 2019, 22:29

Matthias did you get this sorted out? What you really need is esptool.py. This is installed as part of the Espressif ESP32 toolchain in PlatformIo.

I _think_ if you open the polargraph_server_polarshield_esp32 folder in vscode, then the platform will be automatically installed once the platformio.ini file gets read. File->Open Folder-> navigate to where you've unpacked the polargraph firmware and open.

The upload process is detailed here: http://www.polargraph.co.uk/2018/10/how-to-upload-new-firmware-to-the-polargraphsd-v30/ but is also spelled out in a more concrete way in the "binaries/how to upload.md" file in the polargraph code.

Using esptool
-------------

You can use [esptool](https://github.com/espressif/esptool) 
(a python tool) to do this. It is installed as part of PlatformIO
but can be installed into any python environment without it.
Open a terminal from your IDE and type ```esptool.py``` to 
test if it's installed.

Once you have esptool installed, open a command prompt in this folder (```binaries```), and run:
```
esptool.py --chip esp32 --port "COM9" --baud 921600 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x1000 bootloader_dio_40m.bin 0x8000 partitions.bin 0xe000 boot_app0.bin 0x10000 firmware.bin
```
(!Note!  Replace ```COM9``` above with the name of your USB serial port.)

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.034 seconds.